The MIU is a 24-hour minor injury service which treats adults and children over the age of one year.
The MIU is staffed by an experienced team of specialist nurses and health care support workers. Please note: no doctors work in the unit.
The MIU is able to assess and treat the following:
- Limb injuries which include broken bones (fractures) and dislocations of the shoulder, finger and toes.
- Grazes, wounds and minor burn
- Head or face injuries without loss of consciousness
- Minor neck injuries where the patient is mobile and has no pins and needles in arms or legs
- Minor back injuries not occurring from twisting or lifting
- Foreign bodies to eyes, ears and nose
- Non-penetrating eye and ear injuries
- Rib injuries where there is no coughing up of blood or chest infection
- Insect, animal and human bites
- Insect stings