Sickness Certification

sickness certification

For illness of seven days or less, self certify using SC2 form

Statutory Sick Pay Regulations Explained

A common reason to request an appointment with a doctor is to request a sick paper or medical certificate to certify periods of absence from work.  Certification rules differ depending on the duration of absence from work.

Certification for less than 7 days sickness

  • To claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for illness of seven days or less, self-certify using an SC2 form.
  • A copy of the SA2 form is available from your employer or you may use the following link to complete SC2 form online and print your own copy:

Employee’s statement of sickness (SC2)

Statutory Sick Pay: Employee Guide (SSP)

  • GPs are not obliged to issue NHS medical certificates for periods of sickness of less than seven days in duration.  It is not an appropriate use of NHS time for a GP to see patients for no other purpose than to provide a sick certificate for short term absence from work as a result of injury or illness. If you require a short-term certificate the practice will charge a fee.

Certification for more than 7 days sickness

  • If you’re off work sick for more than seven days your employer will normally ask for a fit note (or Statement of Fitness for Work) from your GP or hospital doctor. Fit notes are sometimes referred to as medical statements or a doctor’s note.
  • The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.
  • When you work out the number of days that you’ve been sick, you need to count all the days in a row you’ve been sick, including days you don’t normally work such as weekends and bank holidays.
  • If you need a fit note contact the surgery and inform the receptionist that you require a fit note. Or if you are getting hospital treatment, ask for one from your hospital doctor.